Thursday, July 2, 2015

Minneapolis MS Achievement Center

I'm going to preface this blog by saying the italicized words are my thoughts. I want you all to feel as close to what I felt during this day. Before I get into the emotions of the last day in Minneapolis, let me set the scene.
.
The sun is centered above the head of thirty cyclists. We are travelling 3 miles through the city on their transportation of choice, at this point, in anticipation of a day that the founder of the company and only full time employee flew out to see. Arriving to the MS Achievement Center at first seemed like we got the wrong address into an industrial area, but delving deeper into what seemed like parking lots we found a hidden gem. The lot behind the center was turned into a precious garden and filled with patients and workers of the center. All you could see was joy, signs of appreciation, bubbles, and tears that were beginning to line your eyes.
.
These people were clearly deep into the stages of multiple sclerosis. This was the first time we got to meet people who needed as much assistance with their disease. Many cyclists I'm with have relatives who they have seen at this stage, but I haven't. I've heard about friends and family who are hard off but still fighting. That is what I saw in these people.
.
The first experiences with the patients both brought tears. We arrived in the clinic to applause and I was given a little windmill from a patient and a Hershey kiss from another. The best gift to start off the day was a CD that a patient made for us. He was once in a band that travelled the country, so he wrote and played us a song. We all got to sing along to his song. I would like you all to imagine the group of patients, workers, and cyclists singing to this while the patients played miscellaneous instruments (assisted by workers). This is the first bridge into the chorus (which is where I started to see the tears of my teammates and where I began to join them) :
But giving a donation to us makes you all our heroes
Fighting in a battle with out diseases everyday
A genuine concern to help us keep on getting better
Encouragement so given to continue on this way
Celebrate the meaning of this moment
By the grace of God we're standing here today
Humble in accepting what we got for free
So grateful for your service in this way
.
Seeing these people was looking at the faces of the lives you have all helped us make better. The next part of our trip was lunch, where I got to know different patients like Jojo, Laura, Anna, and Michele. My team of cyclists split up and we all got to spend some time getting to know the patients through conversation. Topics include family, hobbies, and their experiences with the disease. After this, we listened to more thank yous, but this time read by the patients (more tears from me). Then they shared a movie about the clinic before we got to talk about our organization.
.
The last part of the day was so tough to handle and it made up nearly half of the 3 hours at the clinic. 15 cyclists and roughly 20 patients went into their arts and crafts room and got into a circle. Cyclists would tell their name, age, hometown, and why they ride. Patients would tell their name, how long they've had MS, and favorite part of the center. Emotions ran high two people in when a patient could barely speak. Sobbing. Struggling to think of what to say. "Thank you". "I love this place". "I love this place"... I lost control of my emotions two people in. It was a roller coaster from there. We had patients who were witty and loved the spotlight to talk about their stories as well as patients who struggled due to the speaking because of the disease. As a cyclist, I didn't know why many people were riding along side me. The patients are my motivation, but the cyclist are my inspiration. These people quit jobs, cry when they see a patient that reminds them of their family with MS, and will never think of themselves first.
.
It is so very hard to put you in my shoes for that day. It is impossible to make you feel what I felt in the center, but from the bottom of my heart I thank you. I thank you for giving me the opportunity to experience that. I thank you for allowing my life to change for the better. The patients in this clinic thank you for providing the donation of $25,000 to the clinic. And I hope you are thankful for the opportunity to assist these people. These nameless faces. These struggling patients of a center in Minneapolis. These wonderfully kindhearted humans.
.
I am going to give whoever reading this two pieces of advice now that 99% of you will ignore. First. Donate to these people with MS. Whether that is through Bike the US for MS, another organization, or just your time for a local person with multiple sclerosis. BTUSFMS donations are collected at biketheusforms.org and takes money directly from our online donations to give it to the people in need. Everyone who is part of this organization wants every dime to go towards a cure and will make sure that happens with your donation. Second. Bike the US for MS. You will never truly understand the changes I have made in my life as well as others unless you try it. It is the most amazing experience of my life and it is extremely rewarding to see your hard work and efforts out directly into a cause worth fighting for. If you are motivated, if you love helping others, and if you have any span of time, you should bike at least a segment for this organization. I guarantee you will walk away (or bike away) a better person.
.
As always, thanks for reading and God bless you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment