Friday, July 31, 2015

4 - Patrick Wanninkhof

It's going to be a late night due to blog posting. Technically, it's already the next day on the east coast. I apologize for those waiting to read this that have to read it in the morning instead. It was such a long day today, because of what happened yesterday. I climbed up Loup Loup Pass today and roughly 1/3 of the way up, I broke down into tears. This is why.
.
Yesterday was a terrible day for cyclists all over asociated with a cross country organization. My team rode into camp early. We were out having drinks when my route leader came into the bar and went over to another leader. "Did you hear what happened today? There was an accident and someone was killed with Bike and Build". My heart stopped. I couldn't think. I couldn't move. Then my heart raced faster than it did the entire trip. Erin. Is she okay? What about her teammates? I fumbled for my phone. It took a minute for me to even get a hold of myself long enough to say "Hey. Are you okay?" As soon as I did, I felt a relief. She responded quick, praise the Lord. The accident was a separate ride for their organization, but her route leaders knew the man who died and some of her teammates knew the girl who was injured.
.
How could I have managed if it was her? The girl who was inspired, perhaps even convinced, by my cross country aspirations. What would I say if it was her teammates who I know she must be practically best friends with by this point? Questions poured into my head as tears poured into my eyes at the bar. I stared blankly at my phone thinking about what if it was the other way around. What if it was my organization? If it happened to my team? If it was my friends? Me?
.
I panicked. I panicked a lot on my trip up Loup Loup. If my orgnization had this happen, I would be petrified. So many people are working hard to make sure we remain safe and that can be wiped away so quickly. If it was my teammates, specifically? I couldn't finish the trip. Before the news yesterday, we calculated how many hours we all hang out with each other and compared it to how many hours you hang out with your friends in a normal week. By comparison, we have been friends for almost 2 years. I can't fathom a world where these people were hurt. We have had some close cars pass us and run us of the road, though we work hard to make sure we ride as safely as possible. If it was me who was hit, I thought about the disappointment. The fear and anger of those at home. The regret for letting me do what they saw as crazy.
.
As a rider for an organization of this size, we preach safety and call each other out often. "You forgot your helmet!" "Car back!" "Loose gravel!" We make all efforts to keep ourselves out of danger, all we ask is for drivers to not add unnecessary peril. The tragedy that occured yesterday was not one that can blame the young man named Patrick Wanninkhof or the woman named Bridget Anderson. These two were hit from behind by a woman who was "distracted by her phone". I have never imagined this in my life. Today, I did. I replayed that scenario. I saw it in my head. My teammates getting hit. Myself getting hit. This young man named Patrick Wanninkhof. The young woman named Bridget Anderson.
.
As a driver of a car, you're responsible. You control a vehicle that has the ability to kill of you are not careful. People are wreckless with that power. People text, talk on the phone, play with the radio, so their make-up. You name it, people probably have done it while driving. It makes me sick hearing about this death. It's selfish. The woman behind the wheel who deserves to remain nameless is under investigation. They're conducting a toxicology test to determine whether to charge her with something serious or just "inattentive driving". That's it. The woman hits two cyclists, admits to looking at her phone, and winds up with a $175 fine. Patrick graduated from the University of Florida in 2012 and immediately joined Teach for America. He began his career teaching science at a public performing arts school in the Bronx. His cyclist page told of his love for helping those in need, much like my own. His life was taken and might be replaced by a fine.
.
Today alone, I had two major incidences where cars put my life in danger. Today, I wore a bright green jacket (which turned into a vest after it got hot) and my same neon yellow helmet. I watched a lady who had a stop sign at a fork in the road look both ways and then go straight towards me as if I wasn't even there. I slowed down as much as I could and proceeded to swerve around her. Later in the day, I had my descent from the top of the mountain. The speed limit was 50 and I was going what can be assumed was above 30mph. A blind curve was ahead and there were double yellow lines in the road. Going above 30mph on a bike is scary. One crack in the road, bit of glass, or patch of gravel can cause a dangerous wreck. I decided to ride in the road, because the shoulder was small and more likely to have those obstacles. A tow truck approached me and merged into the on coming traffic even with me in the center of the lane telling him to wait to pass. He forced me over to the shoulder as we approached the blind curve and just in time, too. Cars were rounding the curve towards us. This truck would have hit them head on or swerved and hit me. The amount of time it would have taken him to slow down from 50 to 30mph for roughly 20 seconds is not something I think is much to ask. I've even had a car pass me with an on coming bus and lose their side mirror, because they couldn't wait 15 seconds for the oncoming bus to pass first. Lives are at stake when you drive recklessly.
.
I don't want to scare you into thinking I'm unsafe. We abide every rule we can and are always prepared. I'm also paranoid now. And to end on a high note, I want to share my highlight of today. After my breakdown while climbing the mountain, a car passed me. With my still puffy, tear-filled eyes, I saw a car approach on a place where I couldn't get over. They waited behind me for a moment and when they passed, a lady popped our of the window. "You can do it!" was all she said. Those simple words and 10 seconds of patience was all it took to become a highlight of my day and a memory for my trip. I thank God for those people and I pray that you, as a reader, will do at least the simple things like this couple did to brighten a biker's day.

No comments:

Post a Comment