Thursday, July 30, 2015

5 - 102 degree tacos

Short blog tonight. Arriving early to camp was a great decision. I got here at 11am.I got a good meal, a chapter of my book read, and an hour nap before I normally get to camp. Shortly after I arrived, the heat was tremendous. It was 102 degrees for hours of the day and it's rumored to be 107 tomorrow at certain points. Unfortunately, tomorrow is a 70 mile day and it's nearly 90 at 9pm. It doesn't seem promising for a cool morning like we have had.
.
To make it better, I took on the challenge of a Bike The US For MS alumni to set the record for tacos eaten from a taco truck. I managed to scarf down 18 tacos tonight. Placing myself above the challenger, but 8 away from the all time record. I might have held the 8 in, but I knew tomorrow would be rough if I tried. I'll call that a victory, still.
.
Tomorrow, I hope to write a heartfelt blog about the tragedy that occurred today with Bike and Build with a driver hitting a rider. I'm sure I'll sob. I almost broke down today hearing about this because I have a good friend on one of the bike and build routes. All I can say is that prayers are needed. Prayers for cyclists everywhere. We may be "rival" organizations of bikers, but we care about each other. Nobody can doubt the sorrow we feel for that guys family or the organization as a whole. Our sympathies go out to those affected.
.
My alarm says I'll be up in seven and a half hours. I guess the hour nap came in handy. Wish me luck falling asleep in this sauna of a tent. Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment