Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Biking for a Cause

This post is going to be hard to do. I'm feeling tears building now as I sit in this busy cafe. I've had an unpredictable few days travelling the mountains in New Hampshire. As many of my pictures on Facebook have shown, it rained the entire time in the mountains.
.
As I was biking two days ago, I started sobbing. Not because of the numbing fingers. Not because of the trouble seeing through the fogged and rainy glasses. Not even the painful and struggling muscles in my legs. I was bawling for the people with MS, because I knew that those things in some form or another are what people deal with daily and very unpredictably. When I started this trip, it was to fight for those who couldn't do it themselves. I had no idea I would be able to connect so much with these people fighting day after day with MS. Believe me, my journey is tough, but my pain ends when the biking does. Imagine this being a nonstop struggle through your life.
.
I'm raising money and awareness for these people. The donations I collect from here on out go directly to these people living with MS. This organization donates to research for a cure as well as assistance to those to help make their daily lives easier. Ramps, handicapped vans, renovations, etc. Every dollar goes to that, guys and gals. You might not know anyone struggling with this disease, but I can say without a doubt that each person who does is deserving of assistance. If you are lucky enough to have the extra money to donate, please do. Donating to me, the team, or a different cyclist. I do not care. The donations just need to get to those in need.
.
This brings me to one final word. Meg (Bike the US for MS awarded the Diamond award this year for the amazing assistance she has provided the organization over the years) and the town of Thetford are some of the greatest people. Meg was diagnosed with MS in '96 and has been fighting ever since. She's the most uplifting and sweetest person. When she found out we were staying in her town a few years back, she made sure that they did everything to provide us assistance. Her town has definitely gotten on board, too. They have welcomed cyclists every year with open arms and all they can offer. This year is was after our longest toughest day with cold, rain, and mountains. We climbed those last hills reading motivating signs telling us how inspirational we are and how we are the change in the world. When reaching the top, we were welcomed with applause, warm towels, and homemade food from people all over the community. It was so touching. They let us stay inside even though we were wet, smelly, and muddy. People around the community even drive cars full of cyclists to their own houses to feed them, wash clothes, and let them use hot showers. These people were unbelievable. One woman was driving past us just to stop at each cyclist and wish us each luck and another man found some rain pants left at his house so he drove 50 miles to catch up to us and make sure we got them. I have so much love for the family that took me in for a few hours. This is the love I wish to see in the world. It all starts with one person.
.
Thank you and God bless to those who have been praying, reading, helping, and donating. My cyclist page for donations is:
http://biketheusforms.org/cyclists/detail.asp?cid=656

No comments:

Post a Comment