Saturday, June 13, 2015

Cleveland

It's still early, but it feels like biking is the only thing I know how to do. Social interactions become difficult. Talking is mumbled and misunderstood. Conversations lead to either chaotic nonsense or something that we deal with while biking (aka the road, the weather, or extraneous details about the ride). I have had some rough days since Lake Ontario, but some truly amazing ones as well. Going to Niagara for the first time in years was amazing. Buffalo as an adult became pretty sketchy, but still astoundingly beautiful (with delicious wings and an awesome theater district).
.
After Buffalo, we had a shorter day to a campsite in Lake Erie. Then a long day following Erie into Ohio. 95 miles set my new high for a day of biking. Looking back on it, I think of it fondly. When it was happening, I struggled. I guess sitting in a hostel in Cleveland knowing you don't have to bike until late Monday morning will give you unsurpressed optimism. The long day included heats over 90, strong headwinds, and a thunderstorm to wrap up the whole day. It was a big bag of fun. I ached that night arriving at camp, but got plenty of sleep before the short 63 miles to Cleveland.
.
I can't wait for everything going on in Cleveland this weekend. Plenty of fun activities today with free food, free tickets to Jurassic World, and then celebrating birthdays of some teammates while out on Cleveland. Tomorrow night I plan to go watch the Cleveland Cavaliers game in their stadium on the jumbotron because they have a viewing party there. But not exciting is tomorrow morning. We get to visit the MS clinic in Cleveland. We tour the building and facilities to start. After the tour, because of everyone's generous donations and my teams success in fundraising, we are able to present a huge check to the clinic that they don't know is coming. It's going to be an amazing feeling and I cannot wait to cry seeing how much good this money is able to do for these people.
.
Speaking of people, we have met so many people touched by what we are doing. We volunteered on Buffalo to help a lady with MS around the house. Reed and I built a spectacular cabinet for her to put in her kitchen. We accomplished so much that morning before heading out on our bikes for the day. People have been astounded by our courage and donated while just passing on the street. We have met people who had friends with MS and a lady who had her husband pass away due to it. I feel great hearing from people in my life about how I am a role model for them moving forward, but that is slightly trumped when strangers approach you with such passion for a change. People are truly touched by every donation, which is why it is important to continue to donate. Every dollar we raise from here until Seattle will be donated to the MS clinic in Seattle. My goal is to give them the biggest check they have ever gotten from us. I'm working my butt off (literally) to raise money while on the road, but you are still able to donate, too. If you would like to donate or know someone who would go to:
.
http://biketheusforms.org/cyclists/detail.asp?cid=656
.
Or send a check to:
.
Bike the US for MS
PO Box 10001
Blacksburg, VA 24062
.
The checks can be written out to Bike the US for MS with Zachary Wasielewski in the memo line. Once the letter has been received by the organization, they will post your donations to my cyclist website (the one above). Also, any donations are tax deductible: Bike the US for MS Inc. is a 501c3 tax exempt organization; tax ID #27-2192426
.
Thank you and God bless

No comments:

Post a Comment